When the power suddenly goes out in your home, it can often be frustrating and confusing, especially if you have small children. Take a look at a few simple steps you can take to narrow down the source of the problem.
Check with your neighbours to determine whether it is an issue with your house, or your local area.
- If it is a local power cut, call 105 to report the issue to the National Power Cut Helpline and get more information.
- In most cases, this will then be a matter of waiting until the power can be restored. It is always a good idea to place a few battery powered torches or lanterns around the house in case you end up unexpectedly in the dark. If using candles as a light source, however atmospheric it may be, be careful with fire hazards and do not leave lit candles unattended.
Check your trip switches if your neighbour’s power is fine.
- If the switch is off, switch it back on and see what happens. If it trips straight away, locate your fuse box and switch its switch off. This is to test whether the issue is with your trip switch, an internal appliance, or with the fuse box itself. If the trip switch stays on, this issue may be with your fuse box or the trip switch, if it trips again there may be an appliance that is causing it to trip. Try turning your appliances off and working through them using trial and error to figure out which is faulty.
- If your trip switch is on in the first place, push the ‘test button’. If the trip switch trips, this confirms there is still electricity coming into the house and the fault is with faulty wiring or an appliance. If nothing happens, there is no electricity coming into your house at all.
Once you have figured out the source of the problem, get in touch or give us a call on 01722 331066 and we will arrange for one of our local electricians to come and help bring power back to your home.
We do not recommend you attempt to fix the problem with faulty wiring yourself as this can be extremely dangerous.